Have you ever been in a season where you were contending for something in an area of you life and then all of the sudden it seems as though everyone around you seemed to be getting breakthrough in that very area? I know I have!
I have GOOD news for your sister. When you feel the weight of comparison begin to overshadow you, you don’t have to stay there. In fact, because of God’s God’s mercy and kindness, He always gives us a way out. In that moment you will face two options. Either you can choose defeat and believe that your chance for a blessing has passed you by, or you can stand beside your sister in Christ and celebrate their victory and then choose to believe that their testimony is prophesying that God can do it again in your life!
This is what I know about God. He is no respecter of people. He doesn’t choose to bless someone more because that person loves Him more, reads their bible more, does good things for others more. It’s never been about how good we are- it’s always just been about how good HE is. God is good. Period. And that HAS to be the foundation on which we stand. External circumstances should never be the meter on which you determine how loved and seen by God you are. The truth is, you are God’s favorite! His chosen one, His beloved! So when you see Him bless someone else, it’s not because of anything you’ve done wrong, it’s actually because of how Good He is and what a beautiful invitation we get in that moment to step into someone’s testimony and celebrate WITH them!
God has a specific plan and process for your life. He has a route only you can go on and thrive in. YOU have a God lane that has been prepared for only you!
Jeremiah 29:11 says “I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”
What a promise! That even when it “feels” like everyone around us is prospering, we also have the same promise, it will just look different!
So how do we overcome comparison? Here are some practical tools below that have helped me in my walk in this area!
1) Choose to celebrate! Comparison will always lead to introspection and make it about us, but when we celebrate someone else it makes it about how GOOD God is! It always points us back to God and realigns our perspective. The more you choose to celebrate someone, the easier it will become.
“Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep” (Romans 12:15).
2) Choose humility. The truth is, none of us really deserve anything. BUT because of Jesus and what He paid for, we are beneficiaries of His inheritance! Humility keeps our heart in check.
“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” (Philippians 2:3-4).
3) Remain thankful for what you do have. Comparison is the byproduct of a lack mentality. It believes that there isn’t enough for everyone to go around. But our God is the God of more than enough and the God of abundance. There is no lack in heaven! When comparison tries to have you focus on what you don’t have, use thankfulness as a tool to remind yourself what you do have! Some practical ways to do this are writing things down on a piece of paper or verbally saying what you’re thankful for out loud!
“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).
4) Renew your mind with your truth! Romans 12:12 says “…that we transformed by the renewing of our mind.” Dive into scriptures and start reading and meditating on these types of verses that will help you remember that God has a plan for your life and desires for you to flourish!
5) Take a social media break! Maybe you need to detox from the gram and Facebook. Ask the Lord if this is something He’s calling you to do for some time!
6) Pray. Pray and ask the Lord to help you in this area. Pray that He would refine and prune your heart so that you can look more and more like Jesus (and bear more fruit!). “Ask you shall receive, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you.” (John 15, Matthew 7:7).
God has you on the path you are on for a purpose. Your process is beautiful! Be content with where you are while celebrating where others are going. Your security is in Christ! I pray that God would fill your heart with strength to overcome comparison and faith to believe that you are where you need to be and you have everything you need to thrive in the season God has placed you in!
Jenessa is a wife, mother, hand-letterer and speaker who believes that encouragement and truth of God has the power to change the way we live! She started her hand lettering journey in 2015 as a hobby and it quickly turned into a business as well a way to bring encouragement into people’s lives and homes. She has a strong passion to impact the way people think about who they are and what they’re destined for. When she’s not creating, her and her husband pastor a young adults group at a local church in Austin, TX where they reside.
Follow Jenessa on instagram @jenessawait